Who are we?
From 2017, MRI operates under the Victorian Portfolio of Ratepayers Australia. We focus on Monash city’s advocacy and governance oversee work. Its operating objectives are governed by ER’s Constitutional Statement of Purpose, which are to:
- Be the advocacy voice of ratepayers who are people living and working in eastern Melbourne in matters relating to municipal local government;
- Enable local forums through a shared regional platform that enables:
- News communications, strategic network and partnership development, knowledge exchange and sharing concerning matters of municipal councils
- Discussions and action taking of matters concerning budgets and rates; municipal service appropriateness and best value; council decision making transparency and accountability, council performance management, council behavioural conduct, local city issues and any other areas of interest
- Enabling community education, leadership and skills development in ratepayer advocacy activities and community oversee of municipal councils
- Be a high impact regional ratepayer peak body contributing to
- Developing ratepayers centred local government reforms
- Overseeing and reporting local council governance and compliance performance, including checking local council transparency and accountability
- Escalating common and regional issues to higher authorities for aiding systematic continuous improvement and integrity assurance.
- Leading and participating in local community development and advocacy projects.
- Assure good governance in councils in eastern Melbourne
- Advocate for affordable rates and best value municipal services;
- Build regional and local capacity for the community groups in eastern Melbourne to achieve the above.
Since its first inception in Aug 2012, MRI’s accolade achievements to date include collaborating with:
- The Local Government Reform unit to contribute community participation in developing and implementing LG reform projects in Councils;
- The Knox Ratepayers Association, the Mornington Peninsula Ratepayers’ and Residents’ Association Inc , the Centre for Civil Society, the Victorian Ratepayers Incorporated and the Victorian Farmers Federation to address regional and state wide ratepayer issues in Local Government and making group submissions to Government inquiries and improvement initiatives;
- The Victorian Auditor General Office to regularly report community insights of management and governance cases, for aiding in future Council audits;
- The Victorian Ombudsman office to contribute improving Councils’ complaints management and quality management, including escalation to LG Inspectorate, Victorian Ombudsman and Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC) levels;
- Facilitating the setup of EM&U, a new empowering Monash group of people affected by the sale of Monash and Elizabeth Gardens, who wants to sustain the community goodwill and strength to advocate for the development of the Monash community, diversity inclusiveness and good governance in Monash Council affairs.
In November 2015, MRI and Knox Ratepayers Association (KRA) strategically merged to become Eastern Ratepayers Inc. Both groups continue to use their brand-names, as official chapters of ER.
Effective from 9 Sept 2017, MRI dissolved its chapter activities with Eastern Ratepayers, however remaining as a loose affiliate with the regional organization. The new directions of MRI no longer aligns with the micro goals of Eastern Ratepayers, but plays a more important roles in contributing to building and sustaining ratepayers and residents’ advocacy and lobby capabilities and future proofing good governance in councils, from municipal to national levels.
Click here for details.